Friday 24 March 2017

Relective Writing 2b




Reflective writing task 2b part 1


So far I have only really been concerned with my own process but this task enables me to engage in the experience of others by listening to their comments and applying them to my practice. To see things from their perspective, by working the a script and characterisation, but stand back from it and seeing the bigger picture.


I made a recording on Monday for Heritage Lottery Fund as part of an inter-active experience for  visitors. As it was a historically researched script based on real people and events it was important to remember our ethical values whilst still being creative open to interpretation.

 The actors all rehearsed two different roles but were only recording one. I was cast as the lady of the house and her maid. We all brought sometime different and the performances varied and I thought about how I had reached my own conclusions by considering the characters age, status and the period in which she lived. There were no right or wrong choices. As long as we had made an informed decision they were all equally valid.

During the workshop I asked one of the actors why she had decided to cajole her husband as I hadn't gleaned that from the text even though I felt it worked. She clarified that she had decided that this is how she got her husband to be more malleable. Together we worked on exploring their behaviour and motives and decided they both had the same goal but had different ways of achieving it.

To enable me to experience something from somebody else's perspective, I asked her direct me in this way, so I could see what her intention was. We had both had the same backstory and we realised that we had played similar parts before and we were bringing past performances to this role. Rehearsal time was limited so it was necessary to reflect-in-action and reflect-on-action to make sure I was bringing something new and fresh to this performance. My motivation was that I was trying to calm my husband as I thought he would be extremely nervous as the household were being visited by a member of the royal family.

The actor in turn asked me about my choice of voice for the maid. I wanted to suggest that because she was a lady's maid, and it was usual then for servants to work for one family and progress up the ladder, that she might have had a local accent but may have tried to improve herself.

My view, with reference to my performance didn't change. but by being open and willing to question my own and others work was a solid base to approach from. I also now have another way of approaching a similar script if I am faced with this situation again. It is always beneficial to consider alternatives and not just because it broadens our repetitoire.

I felt it was a valuable reflective experience as it re-affirmed that the length of  the piece is irrelevant as we still need to commit. We bring our past experiences and performances with us so we call upon them if we need to. I wanted to explore the thought process of other actors as we hadn't had much time together to help create a more cohesive piece.'


For ethical reasons I have not named the other  actress and I am sure she will not read this, but believe that although she shared in my experience, my blog would not be improved by doing so and of course I respect her privacy.

And in case your wondering I was cast and recorded  the Ladies Maid!







2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda - enjoyed reading this!
    I particularly drew on teaming ethics and creativity in our industry - and I concluded that this is oftentimes the case in acting jobs!
    It is indeed a luxury to get lots of rehearsal time - so I am beginning to realise that reflection-in-action is necessary for actors.
    Lastly, I believe openness is vital as a working actor. The more open we are - the more we can give and receive within our creative and professional trade.
    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Eleanor
    Being open does expose us but is vital to continue to grow and be creative. As you said in your blog nobody improves without practice and we never stop learning.

    ReplyDelete