Wednesday 8 March 2017

Skype with Adesola


Last night I joined the Skype conversations with eleven other students The first part I heard was Eleanor talking about reflective practice.

We then went on to discuss the our rehearsal processes and the practice interviews that the other modules are conducting. Lawrence from Module 3 said he tried to ask larger questions.

I agreed with this as I think if the person you are interviewing is nervous and the questions allow monosyllabic answer nothing will be gained. I believe that if you ask a question that allows them some artistic freedom you will get a better sense of that persons abilities and creativity. Semi-structured interviews were talked about, keeping an organic feel to them so they are never the same and can grow.

Comments were made on sharing significant moments to help others with their studies. It feels if we are generous with our thoughts the payback is that people share theirs with us. Keeping us open to all ideas and practices.

I do keep a professional journal and the importance of doing this whilst on the course and after was reiterated by Module 3 students. It isn't enough to say I did it. We have to ask why did I do it? How did I feel? Would I do it again and if I did what would I do differently?

We need to analyse and critique to allow our practice to develop.
.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda - this is also something I gained from the Skype - the different ways in which we can make our professional journals more reflective. Hopefully we can continue to do this and gain some personal and professional insight from this reflective method!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel keeping a journal is a positive practice because when we look back and reflect we may be surprised how differently we feel in such a small time frame. If we don't record it when it occurs so many others things can happen and we might forget something that will help us in the present or future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more. I think a journal is a great way to measure progress. As performers we are so critical of ourselves and never actually see the progress or improvements ourselves.
    Having it in writing will be a great way to see the success and hopefully cut ourselves a bit of slack? and hopefully relief some pressure we put on ourselves to keep achieving.
    I really like those questions you mentioned in your blog Amanda. I am going to try apply them as I continue my journal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lauren
    I find asking the questions helps me. Sometimes I even surprise myself with the answers which can either give me the confidence to continue with what I am doing or the confidence to change.

    ReplyDelete