Tuesday 28 February 2017

Task 1 b Reader 1 Professional Communciation Technologies



Web based technology has made a difference to professional practice because the everyday use of technology has altered how we work. It can be utilised as tools, a practical aid to assist and to bolster our knowledge. They were not readily available when I first began working in performing arts.

My initial thoughts after Reader 1 was that Web 2 can assist us to make decisions quickly but this   can make us feel there is a NEED to respond by return. I wonder does this give us time for preparation or is it good that we are always ready to go? When working in performance it is essential to allow ourselves the time to be creative.

I  read Reader 1 multiple times and I found my initial thoughts have changed. Part of this process has been my own researched aided by blogging and commenting and the feedback from the other students.


My current technology skills are limited as apart from research, I mainly use my computer as a word processor but since starting the BAPP they are improving daily. I assimilate it to learning a musical instrument, when you can read as much theory as you want to but you need to practice, to keep hitting the keys even if it is discordant in the beginning. Eventually, you will be in tune with the others and writing your own piece.

My own web technologies have improved as before this I had never Blogged, Flickr, or filmed an audio visual presentation. I embrace new skills and now find that I am doing the same with technology. I do get frustrated. Sometimes it takes too long (it feels I would be quicker to write in long hand and deliver the post by horse) but most importantly I don't give up.

Working in the arts, it may be assumed performers are gregarious and content to let the world know their every life choice. Having worked with children and young people with learning needs it was necessary for me to undertake DBS checks and to sign confidentiality clauses in contracts. I am a private person and respect the privacy of others. It is important to protect your professional reputation.

However, if used correctly, social media can be a very useful tool albeit for business or pleasure. Ensuring its ethical use is paramount. It is important to remember copyright must be upheld and un-authorised sources not quoted as fact.

Reader 1 Professional Communication Technologies aroused my interest and so to help me to familiarise myself with the technology and concepts I sourced Daniel Nation Lifewire The Web 2 Glossary Oct 2017. Typically the hyperlink on this didn't work but it is there.

Previously, the usual procedure for auditions would be for your agent to put you forward for a audition/casting. Looking for work independently without representation was not always easy. The Stage newspaper was an important publication eagerly awaited. The whole process could be protracted and time consuming and as they say time is money. Now with the speediness of communication and the advent of show reels performers are expected to be more pro-active in their search for employment. I think this also encourages self-generating projects which can help to keep your work current.

One of the articles I read was A Richer Education Experience about the use of  Web 2.
"driven by process - rather than content, such an approach helps students become self-directing and independent learners."
Higher Education in Web 2 Ann Hughes (Bellevue Consultancy 12 May 2009).

My initial thoughts have altered and developed. Whereas, before I would have not used my laptop as much, I realise that I am the one in control. I only need to read what needs to be read. I only need to respond if I need to respond. All the blogs on BAPP are different, one is naturalistic in style whilst another I like is very honest and acting is said to be based on truth. And yes, it  is a nice feeling when someone comments on your blog. I like receiving their response back to my response. The tutors are educating the students to teach themselves by all working together to share thoughts and processes.

Social media such as Blogs, Wikipedia, Facebook, Twitter et al are all tools used to convey, relay and allay information. They are practical because they rely on people participation. They would not exist if there was no desire to "share" promote or sell. Once a coined phrase of psychiatrists and psychoanalysts it seems many now need to "share". Is it the same kind of sharing? What does it tell us? It is possible some may need the approval of others in their life to make them feel they have achieved or our they just chatterboxes with typed words instead of voice?  Some more comfortable commenting from the warmth and security of their home and not face to face. If it is harmless and makes people happy then there is nothing wrong in that.

Either way it is in our lives until something new replaces it.

Once something has been invented it cannot be disinvented and Web 2 is a natural progression of how we communicate today and if used correctly is beneficial. I still want to read an actual book not kindle, listen to the news on the television or radio and buy a newspaper. If I want to use technology as a tool to get information immediately I do. It seems everything is there - at my fingertips.

Using professional communications technology can help you to be more professional and gives us the luxury of more time. Whether you spend it on your computer or not is up to you.




5 comments:

  1. very good points here - the computer as a musical instrument - privacy in the profession - further investigation of ideas (e.g. https://www.lifewire.com/web-2-0-glossary-3486620) and you have looked up the point of adding comuniction to HE e.g. Higher Education in Web 2 Ann Hughes (Bellevue Consultancy 12 May 2009). which I have downloaded for good measure. The workshop I went to last year at University of the Arts maintained that is it now the duty of HE to introduce critical analysis of these ways of 'sharing' so that professionals can make informed choices about practice. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this. I feel a lot of us are the same on this course and feel slightly behind with the social media sides of Web 2.0 but I love the fact nobody is giving up. I totally agree with you though, everything is at our fingertips and the more we learn the more I have realised how easy it is to access everything online.
    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just finished memorising some of the concepts and terms for Web 2 and then I started looking at Flickr and Audio information and found loads of new ones.

      Delete
  3. This was a great piece of reading - particularly liked your reference to the difference of people's blogs. It just goes to show that everybody has a unique way of expressing their views, but they are all equally valid on the social media platform.
    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eleanor. It does feel that people's personalities come through when they are blogging as it is generally more relaxed and informal.

      Delete