Thursday 16 February 2017

"To Blog, or not to Blog: that is the question?"

"To Blog, or not to Blog: that is the question?"

What is a blog? Well, it is a truncation of the word weblog, written in diary-type text and usually in reverse chronological order.

We have all been asked to write a blog, to keep an on-diary. Discussing anything that we want to. Amongst other things it may help us to understand why each of us have chosen this particular course. Enabling us to share our knowledge as many have already started or continue to be employed in their given profession. Whatever discipline or medium, we have embarked upon in Performance Arts, albeit acting, directing, writing, dance or choreography, we are all linked by our creativity.

What is a blog to me? I see it as a tool to bring us all together, (important on an distance learning course) to educate, stimulate and maybe even make us laugh. It will re-affirm we are not alone on this pathway. I like to think that the novelist Jane Austen, who kept a regular journal, would probably be an ardent blogger now.

So, what will my blog be? It will be glance at the past, that was composed in the writer's present, to be read now and in the future.

By reading the diaries of women who have contributed to all forms of the arts, I will discover  their world, compare it to my own experiences and seek relevance and truth in the world I inhabit. I am going to do this as part of my blog commenting on any subjects or questions they have asked but I will answer in the present.

A blog should not be a soliloquy or even a monologue. It might be a duologue but it will be so much better if it's a polylogue with multiple people blogging and commenting. So, what are we all waiting for?

So, the answer to the question is Yes I Blog. I Blog therefore I am. "Carry on Blogging" (possibly you may need to look up why I used that title) and that's the joy of this journey. We will all bring, take, share, learn and ultimately appreciate how alike we all our in our differences. Until next time...

"I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train."  Gwendolen "The Importance of Being Ernest".

"People who keep journals have life twice". Jessamyn West (Author)

"Art is a form of consciousness" Susan Sontag (American writer/political activist).




3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to make sure this is working now Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda I just wanted to say how much I liked your approach to the ideas of the reflective practice and thinking about women's diaries. I use Frida Kahlo's diary - which using words and images - to assess creative content but also to express and think. I will be interesting to follow the conversation using this approach to the blog, and the use of the blogs as a way of communication - expression - and personal/professional points of view.

    ReplyDelete