Tuesday 3 October 2017

Appendix 2 Skype with Adesola 2nd October

Amanda Conroy M00621438 BAPP BA Hons Module 2




I have just been listening to a Skype session with Adesola and students from all three modules.

Although my microphone and speaker said there were working I could not be heard.

This added a different dynamic for me as I could hear everybody perfectly well but not interact.

Because of this I was able to take copious amount of notes and here are some of points that I took from it.

I am a Module 2 student currently just starting on Reader 4 Developing the Lines of  Professional Inquiry. It discusses whether we work in a disciplinary context or if our situation is more transdisciplinary. The language we use in our professional practice will mean something slightly different to each individual.

There is, of course, common ground in all mediums of our work but our understanding of ethics is important . They are not an entity of their own but are present and accountable in everything we do. We need to see the bigger picture and decide how authenticity is important to us. Adesola mentioned "new liberalism". Whatever we chose to do takes a stance. How do we keep authentic to ourselves, our truth? Neo-liberalism is defined as "a modified form of liberalism tending to favour free-movement and capitalism" Oxford English Dictionary.

Authenticity is defined as truthful, genuine. So if we are authentic it means we actually possess the alleged or apparent attributes we portray.

I believe to know what you should do you must first understand what you should not do and why
.

As I work through the readers I realise there are words, expressions, phrases that I know but do not use daily in my working life. However, this  professional language links us all and gives us a place from which to approach new subjects and start a discourse.

We discussed ethics, authenticity, expectations and policies. We asked questions -

What does it feel like to be a BAPP student?  What is  Authenticity -  Thinking about our identity?
How do we filter the vast amount of information we are currently processing?


I was unable to verbalise my thoughts but I did type -

How do I filter?
I may just have a gut feeling that something is going to be necessary and worth developing. It may be because it either fits into my practice or it really questions my rational. It may be something that has appeared in one form or another that I have encountered before. I try to start with the reading lists and find inspiration from similar academic books or journals,. I also use a list - with two columns, information I think is pertinent and vital to my inquiry and the other I will log as research and background.



It was interesting to hear the comments of J, the Korean student, and the reaction from some students about the artistic black lists. We are fortunate to live in a democracy particularly as performers as we often question, think outside of the box and challenge.

For me being a BAPP student has opened up a whole new world of possibilities. Like everyone else is hard to fit it all in but the final result will be worth it and something that we will take with us. We will probably never have such good resources again to learn from (each other) and this is what makes the blogs and Skype sessions so invaluable.



No comments:

Post a Comment