Tuesday 10 October 2017

Appendix 4 Questions? Question?, Questions? Task A

Amanda Conroy M00 621438 BAPP BA Hons Module 2


Adesola's advice has been to approach the tasks not necessarily in order but to start them and

then re-visit at a later date to enable us to observe how the new research has altered our viewpoints

and improved our knowledge and questioning skills.


The main questions that are relevant to my practice are still emerging.


As I have worked as an adjudicator as well as in performance arts I am approaching

things from a different perspective. However, the principals are the same.



As a performer I familiarise myself with the script by reading it multiple times, read works by the

same author and their contemporaries. The same is true of adjudication.

I will identify any challenges and think how to overcome them and make suggestions. The same isstrue of adjudication.



There are endless comparisons, confirming work principles may be the same whatever the job description.


An adjudicator of amateur drama festivals marks to a strict criteria. Contestants enter the festival

with other local groups and perform either a one act play or a full length play. An adjudication

is given at the end of the evening with constructive criticism and suggestions showing how to

make improvements. There is generally an awards evening (a little like the Oscars) with best of

categories.




Some questions I have been thinking about are -

Q  Is it fair to judge an amateur (who may have less time to commit and not have trained) in a

competition on the same level as a professional?


Q  If encouragement is paramount how do we constructively criticise without discouraging?


Q There is a faction of people who do not believe children should be judged in amateur

festivals in case they are unable to accept the comments. What do you think?


Q  In reality of  our daily practice are ethics and political correctness observed?




These questions do not necessarily correspond with my own thoughts and I would be really

interested in comments please as fellow professionals.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda, you raise some interesting points here. Some of them are similar to my lines of thinking. I noticed other people on this course also discuss the idea of 'raw talent' being naturally good at acting/performing. So they may be an amateur but extremely talented! Also, I think encouragement and constructive criticism can work hand in hand, you need to know what doesn't work to find what does? What's your opinions on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. When I adjudicate I try to find something positive and then add something constructive and then finish with something encouraging that helps them improve. A bit like a sandwich of learning!

    ReplyDelete