Tuesday 31 October 2017

The big question? - The Campus Session



One of the questions Adesola and Helen asked was -

"How would you explain to a Module 1 student next year what to consider for their inquiry ?"

We all started off by discussing our thoughts for our inquiry and they covered a lot of ground.

Through discuss we realised that we cant write a definitive dissertation in a few months and that our inquiry simply needs to be something relevant to our practice, to enhance it and add to later on.

Vocabulary is so important. Phrasing and expressions we have not used before can seem daunting but once we understand them in relation to our own practice they make sense and can be readily used and answered. Validity was a word used to realise how our subjects fits into our practice and is useful. It all needs to make sense in relation to me and others.

How do we explain to people what we do if they don't know our job title or field? This is something that I can relate to as an Adjudicator of Drama Festival people think that I go into schools and that I am a teacher.

Students created images to help them work through their ideas. There was the Tornado of Thoughts, that is an entity that is continuously added to and The Umbrella of Ideas.

The session re-enforced to me the idea that I want to concentrate on the role of women in theatre. The subjects the others were thinking of were all related to my thoughts and ideas..

One of our main topics was Ethics." Doing no harm." Where are my ethics currently positioned? I began to think about how the more I am learning will effect my beliefs. I came away with a lot of questions that I am currently working on by researching.

I suggested Ethics was a "considered opinion". If I am uncomfortable with a decision I ask why it was taken and on what grounds? If there are extenuating circumstances then these must be considered.

So the advice I would give the Module 1 students would be -

Don't limit yourself, read and research as much as you can, you can never have too much knowledge, But remember to spend time on topics relevant to you, that will help your practice and your work. Interact as much as possible (especially if distance learning) and do keep a journal (invaluable).

There isn't much time. Spend it well.








No comments:

Post a Comment